Friday, April 8, 2011

Winter/Spring Skincare Tips

It's Springtime...although in California, some days it feels like Summer and other days it still feels like Winter. Like today.

We all know our skin gets a little extra dry when it's colder outside. Sometimes it's a good idea to have two different kinds of cleansers, moisturizers, etc. Unless your skin is ALWAYS dry (Oily skin is definitely not always oily).

If you have normal to dry skin, using a creamier cleanser is probably better for chilly weather. Basically, something that DOESN'T lather. That might be hard for some people to wrap their brains around. Just because it doesn't lather, doesn't mean it's not working. If it doesn't lather, it means there are fewer harsh detergents (surfactants) to cause havoc to your skin. That's a good thing! I don't have very many (non-professional) suggestions for this type of cleanser, because I have oily skin...

Oily skins can use foamy, bubbly, lathering cleansers. Even in winter time. They don't have to! But I usually use something that foams up. But, a word to the wise - use a skin balancing toner/astringent afterwards and please...use a moisturizer! I've been using "Yes to Cucumbers Daily Calming Moisturizer" it's very soothing and provides that extra needed moisture. It would even be great for normal to dry skin types. I'm running out and I'd like to try their "Yes to Tomatoes" balancing moisturizer (as the weather gets hotter).

Oily skins, don't shy away from oils...they are not necessarily bad, pore blocking or acne causing. I could get into that in another blog post...

I've been using Proactiv Solution lately...and I LOVE it! It's the best thing I've used so far, but it is causing excessive dryness. Good thing I know what to do and what products to use! Ok, I'm blathering on...

Basically, the tip for colder weather skincare is use gentle products that don't have harsh detergents and ALWAYS use sunscreen. Even if the sun is not out. I will sound like a broken record about this.

In the next blog:
Another beauty wishlist! Yay! (hehe)

No comments:

Post a Comment